Monday, October 5, 2009

I thought it would be enjoyable to share some of our recent experiences with family and friends. I can't possibly catch up on all of the things I wanted to blog about and never did. So I will start from the most recent and let the rest go.

The kids and I had a couple of extra days of vacation. Two weeks into the new school year they had a kid's holiday, while the teachers went to training. We were glad of a couple of extra free days. I wanted to do something fun. However, I knew that if I told the kids where we were going, someone would complain. So, I told them we were going on a "field trip", details to be filled in later. They figured out quickly that we were heading to the Dallas Zoo. There were a couple of moans, I ignored them and continued driving.

None of the other school districts were out of school. We had the zoo nearly to ourselves. With the slightly cooler weather the animals were more active. We had to see "Joshua" Giraffe for Mia, the Otters for Byron, the Tigers for Claire and something "new" for Grant. "New" turned out to be a visit to the Naked Mole rat colony. Very ugly but, intruiging little creatures. They are totally blind.

The best part was the Aviary. We got to feed the cockatiels. It was awesome. They landed on any available perch and ate seeds off a little stick. Byron Did Not Like it. The birds flew at him grabbing his shirt and flapping to get stable. It freaked him out. So he made me feed the birds and only had fun when he found a bird that liked to steal and hide empty food sticks. Grant was playing pirate with his new feathered friend.

No comments: